[Telepathy] RFC: draft chat state interface specification

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Thu Oct 19 12:33:15 PDT 2006

Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
> I agreed with MemberState if we are planning not only use it to chat
> states,
> but Im not sure if other channels can and will use it.

Well... you're the one that raised the prospect of it being used on
other channel types. I'm not certain if it's valid. I suppose you could
be active/idle/composing/gone on a whiteboard channel. What do people think?

> Another thing is
> that this
> interface may confuse the applications, it has to be clear that this is to
> be use
> with notifications not presence and others possible states, because that it
> might
> be a good idea to add Notification so it becomes MemberStateNotification.

That's getting a bit long, imagine
tp_channel_iface_member_state_notification_send_notification (...). No
thanks... MemberStates would suffice, if the methods/signals say
Notification in them.

> Also there is in Channel.Type.Text interface a type called
> CHANNEL_TEXT_MESSAGE_TYPE_NOTICE that we could use if we found
> just chat has this type of notifications.

This is totally different, this is for automated messages being sent to
you, eg a /notice in IRC, or a <message type="headline"> in XMPP, versus
/msg or <message type="chat">.

> I would like to raise another question here, why telepathy dont use
> some event
> mechanism like publish/subscribe/notify that SIP has. I find it much
> simpler
> to use
> and also pretty extensible.

I don't understand, where would this be used? All the D-Bus signals that
Telepathy emits can be "subscribed" to by interested parties by them
adding a D-Bus match rule.

Regards,
Rob