[Telepathy] Mission Control Spec - File formats

Raphaël Slinckx raphael at slinckx.net
Fri Oct 27 04:42:35 PDT 2006

Hi !

I just started to write the Mission Control Spec proposal on the
telepathy wiki.
The first 'finished' part up for discussion is the part about the
various files
used by the Mission Control and their respective formats.

Please look at this wiki page and comment:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/FileFormats

Known problems:
.profile
  - Icon: Is a simple path to a svg file enough, or do we need more
fine-grained control (offline/online image, smaller sizes, ..). Gtk
offers these stuff under 'named icons' that an application can
register. I'm not sure if this is a freedesktop standard and can be
reused or not. If it's the case then this field become just the name
of the protocol icon, and size will be determined by the program
rendering it. That still leaves the question about fine-grained image
selection open.

  - Determining duplicate profiles: Having parsed all .profile files,
the MC could end up with two different vanilla profiles with the same
(connmgr, protocol) fields. I left the MC implementation to choose
how to resolve the conflict (or just ignore it). Should we define the
selection algorithm more in depth for standardization (involving
priorities/capabilities and such)?

.chandler
  - HandleChannel: This interface isn't defined properly and is not
standard. More like a de-facto standard. Should it be incorporated in
the Telepathy Spec document with proper definition and code-generation ?

Once that is reviewed and approved we can remove the FIXME's in the
text and remove the draft status.

I'm also finishing the Main spec with dbus api and general
description of MC duties in:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Mission_Control

I'll post the list when i'm done, but the curious reader can already
start reading and making notes. The part before 'Proposed API' is
more or less stable.

Happy discussion,
Raf