[Telepathy] Mission Control Spec - File formats

Dafydd Harries dafydd.harries at collabora.co.uk
Fri Oct 27 06:57:45 PDT 2006

Ar 27/10/2006 am 13:42, ysgrifennodd Raphaël Slinckx:
> Hi !
>
> I just started to write the Mission Control Spec proposal on the
> telepathy wiki.
> The first 'finished' part up for discussion is the part about the
> various files
> used by the Mission Control and their respective formats.
>
> Please look at this wiki page and comment:
> http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/FileFormats

A couple of things that occurred to me:

We need to be clear about which fields are translatable.

We decided that objects should be indexable by name: e.g. if you're looking
for a CM called "gabble", you know to look for a file "gabble.manager", rather
than looking through all the manager files you can find for the one which says
it describes a connection manager called "gabble". We also say that programs
encountering an unknown field should ignore the entire file, and that programs
should use the first file they find. In combination, this means that if you
don't like the first file you find, you lose. But perhaps this is reasonable.

What's the rationale for ignoring the entire file rather than just the fields
you don't recognise?

--
Dafydd