[Telepathy] Proposed change to group channels as used for chatrooms

Robert McQueen robert.mcqueen at collabora.co.uk
Tue Apr 10 17:12:57 PDT 2007

Simon McVittie wrote:
> Rob McQueen suggested an ingenious solution: have RequestChannel put
> your self-handle into LocalPending (while gathering as much information
> about the channel as the CM can without actually joining it), so the client
> can set your nick (by whatever mechanism we decide is appropriate); then
> call AddMembers to move your self-handle from LocalPending to Members (which
> would actually join the channel).
>
> (Rob: do you still think we should go ahead with this change? I think
> it's a nice design.)

Well... I think it's the best design that can address the problem given
the existing situation, unless we make a seperate way of requesting chat
room channels with some extra info, which I think would suck. I'm not
too sold on the self handle changing when we fiddle around with a
property/interface, but I don't think there's much we can do about that,
short of generating a self handle per channel which is constant and
guaranteed not to ever be a valid room nick in that channel.

> This would require the following change to all Telepathy clients wishing
> to be forwards-compatible:
>
> If while trying to join a group you find that the self-handle is in
> LocalPending state, call AddMembers on it to move it to Members. (This
> is the same mechanism as approving someone else's request to join the
> group - obviously you should always approve requests from yourself!).
>
> Obviously, a more advanced client would do things like setting the nick
> before it called AddMembers, but the above is the minimum needed to be
> compatible if we were to implement this Gabble change.

+1... what's the mechanism for nick changing though? SetAlias on the
channel self_handle, property tweaking, or another interface on the channel?

> 	Simon

Regards,
Rob