[Telepathy] How to configure gabble manager file to work behind a firewall

Zhu, Peter J peter.j.zhu at intel.com
Fri Aug 24 01:08:38 PDT 2007

Hi Rob,

I'm using telepathy-mission-control and telepathy-gabble. I spent some
time on source code and walked throuth related parts and now understands
most of them well.

telepathy-gabble really requires a https proxy setting rather than
normal http proxy. So my enviornment doesn't meet it. But it might be
deserved to add non-secure http proxy support. That should be easy if it
can support http proxy setting.

telepathy-mission-control reads both profile file and manager file.
There are three types of storages for parameters, Gconf, Profile file
and Manager file. Gconf is manipulated with mc_account_set_param_XX().
mc_account_get_param_xx() can returen all three types storage with
priority up from Gconf, ProfileDefault then to ManagerDefault and system
proxy(for http-proxy-xx, https-proxy-xx). Note, while http-proxy-xx is
supported by MC, it's NOT supported by gabble.

To make a connection to gabble, it reads parameter by
mc_account_get_params() only from Profile and Manager file, missing
Gconf. Here it seems to be a MC bug since MC supports read of system
proxy.

Thanks,
Peter