[Telepathy] Rich presence

mikhail.zabaluev at nokia.com mikhail.zabaluev at nokia.com
Tue Dec 4 06:51:07 PST 2007

Hi,

I'd like to have a discussion on extended presence support in Telepathy.
In the current spec, there is a freeform map of presence parameters to arbitrary values, and it's not specified what these parameters and values might in principle carry, or will there be some parameter names with a particular meaning commonly interpreted by Telepathy clients.
In order to support things like geospatial or civic location as part of contact's presence information, I think we ought to have some common naming conventions and/or data types for corresponding parameters. Specifially in case of geolocation, this is not helped by the fact that presence information is represented differently in various network protocols (e.g. PIDF-LO in SIP and XEP-0080 in XMPP), the GeoClue framework will have its own representation, and all of these except PIDF-LO are really naïve in what kinds of location they can represent (most settle for a GPS-derived latitude-longitude-accuracy tuple, forgetting to specify such trivial matters as the reference geoid).
Any ideas?

--
  Mikhail Zabaluev,  Nokia Multimedia