[Telepathy] When is their phone ringing (was: Group interface usage?)

Pekka Pessi ppessi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 05:33:23 PDT 2007

2007/7/20, mikhail.zabaluev at nokia.com <mikhail.zabaluev at nokia.com>:
> >Local user in Members, remote user in Remote Pending = their
> >phone is ringing
>
> This is somewhat poor reflection of the useful call progress information that may be reported through signalling.
> In SIP calls there are two adjacent phases of an outgoing call: one is "connecting" (INVITE has been sent, but no response other than 100 Trying has been received), and the next is "ringing" (we've got a 180 Ringing response).
> It would be nice to have this detail supported in the StreamingMedia channel interface or elsewhere, so we don't mislead the user with a ringing indication while the call might not even come through to a remote endpoint.

On traditional telephony the media channel is activated when the
remote end is alerting (so you can hear the ringing tone). So
initially the audio stream will have both remote and local pending
flags set. Alerting / 180 Ringing progress indication would then clear
the remote pending flag and Call confirm / 200 OK the local pending
flag.

The Media.SessionHandler and Media.StreamHandler would handle the
actual media signaling along with the kinkier SDP O&A stuff.

Pekka.Pessi mail at nokia.com