[Telepathy] Display names from SIP headers as aliases?

mikhail.zabaluev at nokia.com mikhail.zabaluev at nokia.com
Fri May 11 05:30:31 PDT 2007

Hi,

There has been a discussion about improving the Aliasing interface.
I have a tangent interest here, in that I consider using the interface to expose display names for contacts, as sent and received with SIP protocol messages. Just as in RFC2822 messages, SIP addressing headers From: and To: may include a human-friendly name along with the address URI. It would be nice to extract that name from incoming messages and make it available to the API clients, e.g. to display in a chat window, or as the initial name suggestion for a new address book entry (OTOH that will raise more security concerns than displaying a bare URI). Also, providing our own human-friendly name is an additional nicety.

If the Aliasing interface is used for that, it may necessitate caching display names along with contact handles for the lifetime of a Connection. That's the only implementation concern I have with the current API.

Your thoughts are welcome,
  Mikhail Zabaluev,  Nokia Multimedia