[Telepathy] Improved chandler/filter system for MC

Jiri Baum jiri at baum.com.au
Wed Oct 10 06:16:48 PDT 2007

Hello,

Jiri Baum:
> > As with per-protocol presence, I suspect what you really want is
> > per-contact-group presence. After all, many services might be used both
> > for work and for play (abicollab in particular might fall in this
> > category).

Simon McVittie:
> We can't do either of these, because the IM protocols and servers we use
> don't have this feature. (For XMPP it'd perhaps be possible to propose an
> extension involving directed presence, but that'd need server support,
> which in practice usually means nobody would be able to use it.)

Heh, implement it over Tubes :-)

But you're right, shouldn't ask for things the protocols don't support. I was
thinking mostly along the lines of per-connection presence, actually...

One can also do a more fine-grained auto-reject, but no API is needed for
that.

> If you want to group your contacts, sign up for two or more accounts on the
> same IM protocol and add people to one or more of them, then connect to them
> all at the same time.

Yes - come to think of it, that's what people do with traditional telephones,
too. If they're running a business from home, many people will get a separate
phone line (and pay for it) just for this reason.

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <jiri at baum.com.au>                   http://www.baum.com.au/~jiri