[Telepathy] What is missing Yahoo VOIP/Webcam ?

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Fri Jul 25 03:36:01 PDT 2008

Hi Jani,

Jani Monoses wrote:
> which are the pieces missing in telepathy/empathy/farsight to get closer
> to voice and video support for YM?
>
>  From what I have read so far there's an unmaintained farsight-1 plugin,
> and a connection manager needs to be written (so it cannot be done using
> haze I presume?).

The missing piece is indeed a Yahoo! connection manager that supports
voice and video calling. Haze is currently the only Yahoo! connection
manager, and it does not support VV, because libpurple doesn't support
VV on any protocol. There is a Pidgin Summer of Code project to add VV
infrastructure, and code for Jabber, to libpurple. With that
infrastructure in place, someone (perhaps you!) could un-bitrot the
Farsight plugin and add the relevant code to the Yahoo! protocol in
libpurple, and someone (perhaps myself) could extend Haze to support
voice and video where supported by the protocol, whereupon you could do
voice and video on Yahoo! in Empathy (possibly with some tweaking; I'm
not sure how CM-sensitive the VV code in Empathy currently is.)

Alternatively, one could write a dedicated Yahoo! connection manager
from scratch, with support for voice and video and every other aspect of
the Yahoo! protocol but that would be a big duplication of effort
compared to improving the existing Yahoo! code in libpurple.

--
Will