[Telepathy] State of the ChannelDispatcher

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 14:40:51 PDT 2008

So it's time for my periodic call to Telepathy developers to help me
understand the channel dispatcher. I think I now have something good enough
that we can release a spec draft, try implementing the whole mess, and see
what happens...

Comments, use cases, etc. etc. to the mailing list or #telepathy please.

HTML: http://people.freedesktop.org/~smcv/telepathy-spec-dispatcher-clients/
History: http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/smcv/telepathy-spec-smcv.git;a=log;h=refs/heads/dispatcher-clients
Design issues: http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/ChannelDispatcher
Resolved design issues: http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/ChannelDispatcher?action=info

Things still up in the air include:

* How to cope with approvers that don't understand an entire batch of
  channels. We can probably defer this until we have CMs that can
  actually cause this situation!

* Naming. We don't like having ChannelDispatcher as the main object, but
  are having difficulty coming up with anything better. Suggestions at
  lunchtime today included "client manager", "channel director", "client
  supervisor", "client registrar", "channel secretary" and
  "smcv needs a thesaurus" :-)

  Perhaps ChannelDispatchOperation should just be DispatchOperation, or
  (if ChannelDispatcher is renamed to something less similar)
  ChannelDispatch.

Regards,
    Simon