[Telepathy] Vino-telepathy for a single window?

Benjamin M. Schwartz bmschwar at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 5 09:20:02 PDT 2009

I know this is not quite the right mailing list, but...

There's been a lot of talk in Sugar-land of allowing users to "watch" an
Activity session, and an obvious way to implement this would be VNC over a
Stream Tube.  The Vino-telepathy codebase seems like a logical place to start.

The problem is, we only want to share a specific window, not the entire
desktop.  In fact, the contents of other windows may be private, so for
security reasons it's important that they not be transmitted.  Sugar
windows are always fullscreen, so it might be easy to implement this by
simply "pausing" the VNC server when the window is not on top.

So my question is: Do you think it would be possible, with the
Vino+telepathy codebase, to stop and start screen updates based on an
external signal, while allowing client-server interaction to continue?

Thanks,
Ben Schwartz