[Telepathy] audio conference application

George Kiagiadakis kiagiadakis.george at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 03:56:35 PDT 2009

2009/8/12 nelson - <nelson1977 at gmail.com>:
> Hi all! I'm starting the development of an audio conference
> application. It will be a simple application that let's a master user
> broadcast an audio file to the other clients, or to broadcast his mic
> audio to the other users. All the users will be in the same room, it
> will be a school lab. I check out telepathy, empathy, farsight2. i
> will program in python. Some advice where can i start? I check out
> farsight 2 examples and also
>

> http://people.collabora.co.uk/~davyd/telepathy-book/appendix.source-code.python_simple_presence.example.py.html
>
> Any other resources or interesting project where can i look for some
> sort of inspiration?
>
> thanks in advance,
>  Andrea

Afaik multi-user audio conference is not currently possible with
telepathy. This is because no connection manager currently implements
that and probably none will implement it with the current
StreamedMediaChannel specification. If it was possible, you could just
use empathy. So, you may need to do this only with farsight2 and
implement all the protocol-related stuff on your own. As an
alternative, you may help us improve the specification and implement
multi-user conference support in some connection manager. I'm not sure
what's easier and/or better.

In any case, you probably need to start by learning how to use
GStreamer, as it's the basic API you will need to use in either case.

Btw, another project you could look at is kcall
(http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/network/kcall/). It's similar
to empathy in functionality, but it offers only audio/video
conversation (i.e. no text) and it's Qt/KDE based.

Regards,
George