[Telepathy] Use telepathy-farsight with telepathy

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 08:32:04 PST 2009

(Please start a new thread or continue a relevant thread rather than
replying to an unrelated email.)

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 at 16:55:48 +0100, Fabien LOUIS wrote:
> In the spec, the function "tf_channel_new" expects an Tpchannel, but the
> python binding for this function expects three parameters
> ("connection_busname", "connection_path", "channel_path").
> I have a question regarding the channel_path parameter. Must this
> parameter be the path of an existing telepathy channel (created
> beforehand)? Is it the path of a channel to be created?

It's the D-Bus object path of an existing Telepathy Channel in the connection
manager process; the Python binding uses it to make a TpChannel
(a client wrapper for the real Channel, which is in the connection
manager). So you need to know a channel's object path already (from
NewChannels, CreateChannel, EnsureChannel etc.).

The difference between tf_channel_new and the Python binding is because it's
not possible to create a TpChannel in Python - there are no Python bindings
for telepathy-glib (telepathy-python is an independent package, not a
binding).

> In the first case, when I give the path of an existing telepathy
> channel, which contains one stream gived by RequestStreams, the function
> returns me a TfChannel. But when I call "tf_channel_lookup_stream" on
> it, with the stream_id, I obtained a NULL value.

Perhaps a telepathy-farsight developer can advise on this.

    Simon