[Telepathy] Empathy and jabber transports

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Thu Feb 26 12:29:14 PST 2009

Neil Loknath wrote:
> Does empathy support jabber transports?

It doesn't give you any way to set one up, but I think that if you set
one up in another XMPP client you should be able to use the contacts it
exposes through Gabble and hence Empathy.

> But, I am interested
> in the MSN transport through jabber.  The reason is that I am under the
> impression that if can access my MSN contacts through a jabber server, I
> can interact with them via telepathy tubes.  Is that true?

No.

The client at each end needs to explicitly support tubes. While I
believe it would be possible to implement tubes on MSN in a similar way
to how they're implemented on XMPP (as a protocol extension, where
negotiating an out-of-band stream is attempted, and in-band data is used
as a fallback), but it's not been done in either connection manager that
supports MSN (Butterfly and Haze), and certainly has not been done in
any of the MSN transport components.

Even if this had been done, the person at the other end would have to
use a client that supports tubes, which (at present — other IM
implementations could in principle implement tubes) means the Telepathy
stack. So you both have to be using a Telepathy client (aka. Empathy, at
this point) anyway, and then you may as well use an open, extensible
protocol.

Will