[Telepathy] ANNOUNCE: telepathy-qt4 0.1.0

Matt Rogers mattr at kde.org
Fri Feb 27 06:23:27 PST 2009

On Friday 27 February 2009 07:10:57 Simon McVittie wrote:
> telepathy-qt4 is a new client-side binding for Telepathy, implemented in
> Qt/C++ and building on ideas from telepathy-glib. It offers a fully
> asynchronous API (no blocking your UI while you wait for a response!) while
> being as high-level and convenient to use as possible.
>
> This is the first tarball release of telepathy-qt4. At this stage in its
> development, we offer no guarantees about its API or ABI; as a result, the
> build system only produces a static library at the moment. However, quite a
> lot of functionality has already been implemented.
>
> It makes extensive use of the asynchronous D-Bus API introduced in Qt 4.5,
> which has not yet been released (although hopefully it will be soon). As a
> result, it requires a recent snapshot of Qt 4.5 (I've been using snapshot
> 20090216 from git). Hopefully Qt 4.5 will be released soon, at which point
> we'll depend on the released version.
>
> In the interests of rapid development, telepathy-qt4 does not support
> various deprecated interfaces, so it should only be used with recent
> Telepathy connection manager releases (the latest releases of
> telepathy-gabble, telepathy-salut and telepathy-sofiasip should work, but
> telepathy-haze, telepathy-idle and telepathy-butterfly might not yet
> support the necessary interfaces).
>
> telepathy-qt4 doesn't offer much functionality for writing connection
> managers, and we don't plan to add any in the short term; writing
> connection managers in C using telepathy-glib is our recommended approach
> at the moment.

Why? It severly limits the usefulness of telepathy-qt4. From my point of view,
the connection managers are what make telepathy useful for developers working
on instant messaging clients. Yes, the account manager stuff is also important,
but without connection managers, telepathy is basically useless, IMHO.

Thanks
--
Matt