[Telepathy] ANNOUNCE: telepathy-qt4 0.1.0

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Fri Feb 27 08:00:49 PST 2009

Matt Rogers wrote:
> On Friday 27 February 2009 07:10:57 Simon McVittie wrote:
>> telepathy-qt4 doesn't offer much functionality for writing connection
>> managers, and we don't plan to add any in the short term; writing
>> connection managers in C using telepathy-glib is our recommended approach
>> at the moment.
>>

> Why? It severly limits the usefulness of telepathy-qt4. From my point of view,
> the connection managers are what make telepathy useful for developers working
> on instant messaging clients. Yes, the account manager stuff is also important,
> but without connection managers, telepathy is basically useless, IMHO.

Note that there are already connection managers for most protocols. The
fact that they all (as far as I'm aware, excluding the defunct CMs
written in Java and C♯) use telepathy-glib or telepathy-python doesn't
mean that they can't be used by clients written using telepathy-qt4;
indeed, this is part of the point of Telepathy.

If there's a protocol lacking a CM, and someone wanted to write one
using qt4, then tp-qt4 is currently not really suitable. But this
doesn't limit the utility of Telepathy-Qt4 for client authors in the
slightest!

Hope that clears things up,
--
Will