[Telepathy] discussion about empathy chat window

Pierre-Luc Beaudoin pierre-luc.beaudoin at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 07:20:43 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 12:06 +0100, Will Thompson wrote:

> For the record: Pidgin used to have a Send button you couldn't
> disable.
> It turned out that lots of people thought you had to click it to send
> message, rather than being able to just hit Enter, which is why it was
> removed (and later resurrected as a plug-in, primarily for those using
> tablet PCs IIRC).

Then we should have an option to have one :)

> I don't know whether there was any non-anecdotal evidence about this,
> but it matches my (anecdotal) experience of watching computer-shy
> people
> use Firefox: they often painstakingly aim for and click the little
> green
>   > icon in the address bar, rather than just hitting enter. I've even
> seen people who know they can hit enter elsewhere in the browser do
> this. But I imagine that Mozilla have done more extensive usability
> testing about this and decided that people get confused if the icon
> isn't there.

That's entirely true.  My gran'ma does the same, clicking on the Send
button instead of Enter.  If I recall well, that "go" button was added
in IE 4, so Netscape can't be blamed for it.

Never the less, I think we should have one, even if it is disabled by
default.