[Telepathy] discussion about empathy chat window

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jun 15 08:17:16 PDT 2009

Pierre-Luc Beaudoin wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-06-15 at 12:06 +0100, Will Thompson wrote:
>> For the record: Pidgin used to have a Send button you couldn't
>> disable.
>> It turned out that lots of people thought you had to click it to send
>> message, rather than being able to just hit Enter, which is why it was
>> removed (and later resurrected as a plug-in, primarily for those using
>> tablet PCs IIRC).
>
> Then we should have an option to have one :)

That really wasn't what I was getting at. :)

>> I don't know whether there was any non-anecdotal evidence about this,
>> but it matches my (anecdotal) experience of watching computer-shy
>> people
>> use Firefox: they often painstakingly aim for and click the little
>> green
>>   > icon in the address bar, rather than just hitting enter. I've even
>> seen people who know they can hit enter elsewhere in the browser do
>> this. But I imagine that Mozilla have done more extensive usability
>> testing about this and decided that people get confused if the icon
>> isn't there.
>
> Never the less, I think we should have one, even if it is disabled by
> default.

I vehemently disagree that there should be an option to enable and
disable a send button. Sitting on the fence on something so trivial is a
cop-out. I think that having a carriage-return icon in the entry would
be unobtrusive (keeping Jonny happy) and consistent with the status
selector.

Will