[Telepathy] telepathy-gabble and authenticated SOCKS5 proxy

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Mon Jun 29 01:54:49 PDT 2009

Le dimanche 28 juin 2009 à 12:10 -0400, John O'Brien a écrit :
> I was checking the code in bytestream-socks5.c and I noticed that it
> doesn't appear that telepathy-gabble
> supports proxies which require authentication.
>
> Is this a correct assumption or did I miss something?

Indeed.
Just to be clear, this code is for *bytestream* SOCKS5 proxy (used by
file transfers and tubes), not to connect to your XMPP server through a
SOCKS5 proxy.

> If it is correct, were there reasons why it isn't supported or are
> there plans to support it in the future?

Main reason is because http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0065.html doesn't
mention proxy authentication and I have no idea how we are suppose to
manage that (is that even possible in that context?).
Furthermore, I don't know any proxy requiring authentification.

	G.