[Telepathy] using ContactCapabilities?

Jiri Baum jiri at baum.com.au
Mon Nov 9 07:08:01 PST 2009

Hi,

I wrote:
> I'm tryint to use ContactCapabilities, and not having much luck.

> What I'm trying to do: before offering a DBus Tube to a contact, check that
> the contact is running a copy of the same program.

> Now, in order to advertise it, I do:

OK, thanks to Danielle for advice that I don't need to do this. Deleted.

>  where org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Client.au_com_baum_example is the service
>  name I've claimed and au.com.baum.example is the service I'm running over
>  the tube.

As far as I can tell, I'm implementing the Client.Handler interface.

HandlerChannelFilter property is: dbus.Array([
                dbus.Dictionary({
                    CHANNEL + '.ChannelType'     : CHANNEL_TYPE_DBUS_TUBE,
                    CHANNEL + '.TargetHandleType':
CONNECTION_HANDLE_TYPE_CONTACT,
                    CHANNEL + '.Type.DBusTube.ServiceName'    : SERVICE,
                }, signature='sv')

Capabilities property is dbus.Array([SERVICE], signature='as')

where SERVICE is 'au.com.baum.example'

I don't think Mission Control is picking this up, because Empathy gives the
message "An invitation was offered for service au.com.baum.example, but you
don't have the needed application to handle it", though that could be
something else (like me not returning True where I should or something). Also,
HandleChannels is never called.

The tube itself works - calls and signals go from one side to the other.
(That's via the NewChannels signal to grab the tube; taking that out makes it
not work at all.)

> To check for it on the other end, I include
> org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Connection.Interface.ContactCapabilities in the
> GetContactAttributes call, which returns a list of things, but none of them
> have any mention of au.com.baum.example or au_com_baum_example.

That's still the case.

> I suspect there's some minor thing I'm doing wrong somewhere, but I'm not
>  sure how to look for it...

And so is this... any suggestions, please?

Versions:
	telepathy-gabble 0.9.2-1 (Debian experimental)
	python-telepathy 0.15.12-1~ppa9.10+1 (Telepathy PPA)
	empathy 2.28.1.1-0ubuntu1 (Ubuntu Karmic Koala)
	telepathy-mission-control-5 5.3.1-1 (Ubuntu Karmic Koala)

Jiri
--
Jiri Baum <jiri at baum.com.au>                   http://www.baum.com.au/~jiri