[Telepathy] GUI Design Proposal

Orfeo Ciano orfeo18 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 10:07:04 PDT 2009

My idea is simple: build a unique abstract "megagui" that integrates all the
features (Personal Image, Nickname, Personal Message, Status,...).
Each "protocol" will enable the widget that represents a feature i.e.:

MSN -> Personal Message supported? YES -> ENABLE INPUTBOX ON MAIN GUI;
TALK -> Personal Message supported? NO -> DISABLE INPUTBOX ON MAIN GUI;

MSN -> Avatar supported? YES -> enable personal image widget;
IRC -> Avatar Supported? NO -> disable personal image widget;

In order to make it _REALLY_ functional all the widgets has to stay in main
window because the user wants to have a visual-feedback.

You'll say to me "It's chaos", and i'll reply "it's true!" indeed i made a
mockup: to make everything clean in Gnome Style you can make a Tabbed Panel
with the protocol icon (or simply text) to switch between the GUIs.
Why this?Empathy gui is really UGLY...You cannot distinguish between a
friend connected with msn/jabber/talk (and this abstraction is not good).

Hoping that you'll agree with my proposal.
Thank you for your attention.

Orfeo aka Otacon