[Telepathy] A 'now-running' interface for Rhythmbox, games and Empathy

Alban Crequy alban.crequy at collabora.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 03:55:52 PDT 2009

Le Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:34:31 +0100,
Will Thompson <will.thompson at collabora.co.uk> a écrit :

> Resurrecting an ancient thread: this came up again recently, and I
> thought it worth recording a suggestion.
>
> Alban Crequy wrote:
> > == Telepathy spec ==
> >
> > Mission Control can then merge Client's Channel
> > Classes which can be published as Now-Running and call a
> > SetSelfNowRunning on the CM.
>
> We wouldn't need new API for this: we could define a handler
> capability token—"org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Client.Handler/running",
> [...]

You change the semantic from "what are the channel classes now-running"
to "what are the applications now-running".

If the handler Rhythmbox can handles several channel classes, it means
Rhythmbox can be now-running for all the channel classes, or for none
of them, but not for some of them.

It makes sense to publish to contacts that an application supporting
reverse daap stream tubes is running. It is not useful to publish to
contacts that an application supporting normal daap stream tubes is
running.

--
Alban