[Telepathy] Received SMSs not announced in Empathy UI?

Will Thompson will.thompson at collabora.co.uk
Fri Dec 17 05:34:22 PST 2010

On 16/12/10 23:50, Neil Jerram wrote:
> I'm currently experimenting with ofono + telepathy-ring + empathy on my
> Freerunner phone.  I believe everything is starting up correctly, and
> ofono detecting the modem, but when I send in an SMS, I don't get any
> notification about it in the Empathy UI.
>
> If I then look at empathy's debug log, or at the "Previous
> Conversations" dialog, I can see the text of the SMS that I sent.  So
> it's definitely getting through, just not being reported.

When I tested this stuff out, I mostly used the GSM card in my laptop.
Sending messages from Empathy to my personal phone worked fine; and
sending messages from my phone to my laptop's number caused channels to
pop up and show up in Empathy.

If you're sending messages behind Empathy's back, I could well believe
that this wouldn't work. For instance, if you're driving an N900 over
USB and send a message in the N900 UI, it doesn't show up as sent for
telepathy-ring on your laptop.

> There's a similar situation with incoming voice calls: no UI
> notification at all, at the time the call comes in, but there is a clear
> trace of it in the debug log.

That's more surprising. When I tested this, I got notification for
incoming calls. They didn't work fully (they got stuck on Connecting…)
but they definitely showed up.

Cheers,
--
Will