[Telepathy] ssh over telepathy?

Ivan Vučica ivucica at gmail.com
Sat Mar 13 09:30:16 PST 2010

On 11. ožu. 2010., at 13:00, Will Thompson wrote:

> On 11/03/10 11:13, Butrus Damaskus wrote:
>> Just an Idea: How complicate would it be to allow ssh be "tunneled"
>> over telepathy in the same way as the VNC is? The VNC is sometimes
>> really slow and ssh would make much more sense...
>
> Good idea! Not very complicated. VNC is "tunnelled" over Telepathy using a stream tube — http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/org.freedesktop.Telepathy.Channel.Type.StreamTube.html — which is not specific to VNC. Stream tubes basically give you a socket to a contact, and then you can speak any protocol you like.

I was wondering (and haven't had the time to study) how are telepathy tubes actually implemented?
On which protocols do they exist?
On a scale 1-10, how hard would it be to write a non-telepathy client with tubes? (10 being easiest)
Do tubes on XMPP use jingle?
Do the tubes go over UDP or TCP?
Do they pierce the firewalls?
Can they use proxies?
What is the best place to read about telepathy tubes protocol (the actual over-the-wire communications that take place to establish the tube)?

Hopefully someone can answer a few of these questions :-)

Thanks

-- Ivan Vučica