[Telepathy] ssh over telepathy?

Danielle Madeley danielle.madeley at collabora.co.uk
Sat Mar 13 17:49:37 PST 2010

Consult http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Tubes

On Sat, 2010-03-13 at 18:30 +0100, Ivan Vučica wrote:

> I was wondering (and haven't had the time to study) how are telepathy
> tubes actually implemented?
> On which protocols do they exist?

XMPP. Previously also link-local-XMPP, but I don't think the new API has
been ported to Salut.

> On a scale 1-10, how hard would it be to write a non-telepathy client
> with tubes? (10 being easiest)

Why would you do this? It kind of defeats the point of having Tubes if
you don't have connection sharing infrastructure.

> Do tubes on XMPP use jingle?

No, currently one of XEP-95, XEP-65 or XEP-47, but they could use Jingle
I believe.

> Do the tubes go over UDP or TCP?

See above.

> Do they pierce the firewalls?

See above.

> Can they use proxies?

See above.

> What is the best place to read about telepathy tubes protocol (the
> actual over-the-wire communications that take place to establish the
> tube)?

http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/xmpp/tubes.html

--danni

--
Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk