[Telepathy] ssh over telepathy?

Ivan Vučica ivucica at gmail.com
Sun Mar 14 10:51:32 PDT 2010

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 02:49, Danielle Madeley <
danielle.madeley at collabora.co.uk> wrote:

> > On a scale 1-10, how hard would it be to write a non-telepathy client
> > with tubes? (10 being easiest)
>
> Why would you do this? It kind of defeats the point of having Tubes if
> you don't have connection sharing infrastructure.

Cross-platform compatibility.

Telepathy uses DBUS. While DBUS exists on many platforms, it does not exist
"by default" on MacOS X or on Windows. Requiring user to install DBUS and
Telepathy so they could play your game is not nice.

On the other hand, having the prototype of network support developed
initially on GNU/Linux using Telepathy, and later on adding Telepathy-less
XMPP+connection support would be a great solution.

Really, getting connection established via Telepathy is great precisely
because it's a connection sharing infrastructure; a game established through
IM could go through Telepathy on platforms where it is available, and
through a direct XMPP connection on platforms where it's not easily
available.

> > Do tubes on XMPP use jingle?
>
> No, currently one of XEP-95, XEP-65 or XEP-47, but they could use Jingle
> I believe.

I guess I have a lot of reading if I intend to understand how to develop
cross-platform multiplayer support over XMPP :-)

> See above.
> See above.
> See above.

Thanks :-)

> > What is the best place to read about telepathy tubes protocol (the
> > actual over-the-wire communications that take place to establish the
> > tube)?
>
> http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/xmpp/tubes.html

Thanks!
Skimming through this, it looks like I'll love XMPP.

Danielle, thanks a lot!

Ivan Vučica