[Telepathy] ANNOUNCE: telepathy-butterfly 0.5.7 *READ THIS EMAIL*

Jonny Lamb jonny.lamb at collabora.co.uk
Sun Mar 21 18:21:36 PDT 2010

IF YOU'RE PACKAGING THIS THEN YOU SHOULD TOTALLY READ THIS OR YOU'LL
SCREW UP AND YOUR USERS WILL HATE YOU...

 1. We've moved from waf to autotools. This should be fairly obvious
    though.

 2. More importantly, contacts no longer have the annoying #1 suffix
    after their ID. The external network ID (which is Yahoo!) will
    appear to distinguish between MSN and Yahoo!. These IDs will have
    "#yahoo" appended.

    Now, this is great, but this obviously means that logs might be
    broken once users make the switch. I've written a little migration
    tool for Empathy that is performed automatically when it notices
    the user is running new butterfly. However, this is only in
    Empathy >= 2.29.92.

    If the user uses this butterfly release before using the new
    empathy, then initially the log viewer will be ugly with
    duplicates (#1 contacts, and non-#1 contacts), and when the user
    finally uses said Empathy version, there is a chance not all logs
    will be nicely migrated. Nothing should get lost, but really what
    you should do is make this version of butterfly conflict with an
    old Empathy. That's certainly what we're going to do in Debian.

If you don't heed this advice and then start filing bugs when your
users get annoyed, I will not be amused.

telepathy-butterfly is an MSN Telepathy connection manager that uses
the papyon MSN library.

Tarball:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/releases/telepathy-butterfly/telepathy-butterfly-0.5.7.tar.gz
Signature:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/releases/telepathy-butterfly/telepathy-butterfly-0.5.7.tar.gz.asc
Git:
http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=telepathy-butterfly.git;a=summary

Enhancements:

 * GetInterfaces on the connection will now return before the
   connection status is CONNECTED which means Mission Control can see
   that we have the (simple)presence interface and set an initial
   presence that we should use once we become actually connected. This
   stops the annoying transition of always connected as invisible and
   then quickly changing to the value in RequestedPresence.

 * The build system has been switched from waf to autotools, so the
   people who actually hack on butterfly knows how the build system
   works. Fixes fd.o#27053

 * Contact IDs no longer have their network ID appended to their
   passport email address, as described above. Fixes fd.o#25635

Fixes:

 * fd.o#24699: Stop abusing (Message_Type_Action, "nudge") to send
   nudges.

 * fd.o#27120: Be sure to register any new connection with actual
   Connection Manager so it fires NewConnection.

I'm off to Vienna in six hours, so, cheerio!

--
Jonny Lamb, UK
jonny.lamb at collabora.co.uk