[Telepathy] Stage of proxy support

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd.simons at collabora.co.uk
Mon May 3 16:08:38 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 04, 2010 at 01:53:38AM +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
> What is not covered is: hey, I have to use a proxy for
> messenger.hotmail.com, and also for talk.google.com, unless I'm
> connecting through port 443, and jabber.company.com without any proxy.
>
> The easiest way to cover all of the above is to actually give the user
> the option to configure each account manually. As I said, the
> automatic proxy stuff is nice, but nobody is using it nowadays,

The more decent networks i've seen give you a nice proxy configuation file,
which libproxy can use to work out all those things and more.. If you need more
manual configuration then that your network is just hostile to its own users
and maybe you should do something about that instead (pitchforks spring to mind
as a useful tool here)

> and most people would rather configure each account manually than write their
> own javascript code configuration thingy.

most people don't know what a proxy is, neither do they (or should they
have to) care

That said, i don't mind having a UI for hardcore
i-know-better-then-my-admin-and-i-hate-live-anyway proxy settings UI, but it
shouldn't be in Empathy nor should we have to re-implement it in every CM. This
again is something libproxy and the tools around it could provide for you in
one central place (which we could link to from the empathy settings).

  Sjoerd
--
How often I found where I should be going only by setting out for somewhere
else.