[Telepathy] Stage of proxy support

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Mon May 3 15:53:38 PDT 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 1:28 AM, Nicolas Dufresne
<nicolas.dufresne at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> Le mardi 04 mai 2010 à 01:06 +0300, Felipe Contreras a écrit :
>> That's not exactly correct. Haze already has proxy support, since
>> libpurple does... plugging libproxy would be a nice touch, but I doubt
>> many people use automatic proxy configuration anyway.
>
> LibProxy is not just WPAD and PAC (automatic configuration). It also
> reads your system configuration and expose it through the API. It also
> handles for you the list of domain/sub-domain/ip/network exceptions.

Yeah, but libpurple is *already* reading that system configuration in
many ways, including GConf.

> The biggest use case I've been exposed to is users that must use SOCKS
> and/or HTTP proxy to access anything outside their internal network.
> That means, most software need to use those proxies. Configuring
> softwares over and over with the same information is not for me
> something I want to do.

That's covered by GConf.

What is not covered is: hey, I have to use a proxy for
messenger.hotmail.com, and also for talk.google.com, unless I'm
connecting through port 443, and jabber.company.com without any proxy.

The easiest way to cover all of the above is to actually give the user
the option to configure each account manually. As I said, the
automatic proxy stuff is nice, but nobody is using it nowadays, and
most people would rather configure each account manually than write
their own javascript code configuration thingy.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras