[Telepathy] Stage of proxy support

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed May 5 06:07:01 PDT 2010

2010/5/4 Olivier Crête <olivier.crete at collabora.co.uk>:
> On Tue, 2010-05-04 at 15:38 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> Right, why add two fields in the configuration when you can redesign
>> the way proxies work in GNOME. I have been interested on this since
>> 2005 and it has not happened yet. Also, what would happen to devices
>> like the future Meego? Do you rely on somebody writing a configuration
>> UI in QT for libproxy?
>
> Reach in your right pocket, take out your N900. Go to Settings ->
> Internet Connections -> Connections -> one connection -> advanced ->
> proxes. Here is your device-wide configuration for proxies... This is
> the one that libproxy will read.
>
> Libproxy does not have its own config, it just uses whatever is there.
> You don't need a Javascript file (its just one of the types of configs
> it can understand).

Fortunately the N900 has a field to specify servers for which proxy
should be disabled, but...

How do I tell my N900 to:
 * connect to xmpp gmail with proxy
 * connect to sipe without proxy

I can't because I don't know the server(s) used for sipe; they are
auto-discovered.

With Pidgin I just say "no proxy" for this account.

>> Per-account configurations is simple, easy, and that's what everybody
>> is doing. We could have full telepathy-haze proxy support Right Now.
>
> I just don't understand why you want it per account. It should be per
> network connection (and on the desktop, it should be in NetworkManager
> just like maemo 5 does it..)

In the ideal world I would be able to configure accounts per location,
so when I'm at work my WLM accounts are off, my Gmail account is
marked as busy, and all of them use the work proxy, except a few
internal ones. When I'm at home all the internal accounts are off, and
the proxy is turned off. Also, the locations would be related to
access points and vpns. But you see, it boils down to *accounts* and
locations, not servers/ports.

I don't expect that to happen any time soon, so in the meantime I
would like just to be able to connect to my accounts somehow.

> Any more questions ?

I didn't ask any.

All I tried to do is shine some light; Telepathy could have proxy
support *right now* for the vast majority of people through haze with
very simple changes. Whether you like that approach or not is a
different matter.

And whether users prefer server/port configurations (through
libproxy), or per account (on top of libproxy) is something yet to be
seen (although fairly obvious to me). Nobody is debating that the
per-location selectability of both of the aforementioned approaches
would be nice.

--
Felipe Contreras