[Telepathy] Stage of proxy support

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at gmail.com
Wed May 5 06:20:54 PDT 2010

Le mercredi 05 mai 2010 à 12:22 +0200, Ivan Vučica a écrit :

> One may need to use an authenticated proxy to bypass firewall for one
> in-company service. But this proxy might not want to forward all
> traffic.
> Just a thought.

This is mostly a system configuration issue. When we send a request to
the proxy resolver (should be libproxy) we use URIs of the form:

    service://hostname:port
    xmpp-client://talk.1.google.com:5522

With that information, a proxy resolver can use the service, the
hostname and the port to choose the right proxy settings (or none). If
unsure, the proxy resolver can return multiple possible proxies, and
it's up to the client to try them until it succeeded.

So essentially it's a design decision here to solve proxy connectivity
inside the protocol clients (with help from GLib and/or libproxy) but
leave to the system the configuration part. Currently only PAC file can
provide such granularity. I hope the system configuration will
eventually be improved, but I'm not sure how far it would go.

Regards,
Nicolas

p.s. If your knowledge of proxies is good enough to understand that you
need to use tones of different proxies for tones of different protocols
and maybe discriminate ports and the time of the day, I think it's also
time for you to learn how to write JavaScript. It will always be more
flexible then your system UI ;)