[Telepathy] Spec discussion sasl auth channels

Eitan Isaacson eitan.isaacson at collabora.co.uk
Tue May 11 10:55:25 PDT 2010

Another thought I had. I think adding a AuthenticationType immutable
property that is either enum or string to the auth iface would solve two
things:
1. Better channel handler selection, you could have one that would deal
with SASL, one that would deal with TLS, and another that would prompt
the user for a password.
2. Gets rid of the weird mechanism names, instead of SASL_DIGEST-MD5, it
would simply be DIGEST-MD5.

The values for this property would probably be:
SASL
TLS,
TELEPATHY,
E2E

SASL and TLS are self explanatory, TELEPATHY would be for plaintext
passwords the CM could prompt for either for real plaintext auth, or for
creating digests on the CM side (what I previously called TP_PASSWORD).

E2E is for mutual auth in end to end encryption like XTLS or OTR.