[Telepathy] Spec discussion sasl auth channels

Danielle Madeley danielle.madeley at collabora.co.uk
Thu May 13 02:16:59 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-05-11 at 10:55 -0700, Eitan Isaacson wrote:
> Another thought I had. I think adding a AuthenticationType immutable
> property that is either enum or string to the auth iface would solve two
> things:
> 1. Better channel handler selection, you could have one that would deal
> with SASL, one that would deal with TLS, and another that would prompt
> the user for a password.
> 2. Gets rid of the weird mechanism names, instead of SASL_DIGEST-MD5, it
> would simply be DIGEST-MD5.
>
> The values for this property would probably be:
> SASL
> TLS,
> TELEPATHY,
> E2E

I think this makes sense.

What about adding extra Mechanisms, would they need to be defined by the
spec, for instance SASL/X-FACEBOOK-PLATFORM? Would Gabble need to know
about what mechanisms might be expected? Or if it got a stanza like:

        <stream:features>
          <mechanisms xmlns='urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:xmpp-sasl'>
            <mechanism>X-FACEBOOK-PLATFORM</mechanism>
          </mechanisms>
        </stream:features>

Would it just expose that string as a Mechanism? That would seem the
most flexible.

--danni

--
Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk