[Telepathy] ANNOUNCE: libfolks 0.3.0

Travis Reitter travis.reitter at collabora.co.uk
Fri Oct 1 10:22:35 PDT 2010

libfolks 0.3.0 is now available for download from:

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/folks/0.3/

38cc9d11428c624fd2a82fd10fe5e8c4f6a0092ac9b38f769c860a2dbc088905
folks-0.3.0.tar.bz2

c2589f01a5041a71960e8c0a5a8351e630cb479612cc84ef4ed7c92978d79ea1
folks-0.3.0.tar.gz

libfolks 0.3.0 — Anyway, I'm an upstanding citizen
Libfolks pulls together contacts from any number of accounts supported
by the libfolks backends. This release includes a Telepathy backend
complete enough to power Empathy and a key file backend to allow contact
linking. We would like to include additional backends
(especially evolution-data-server), so let us know if we can help!

libfolks is not yet API or ABI stable, so please proceed with caution.
The 0.2.x series will stay stable relative to itself, but the 0.3.x
series breaks API with the 0.2.x series (to get it in better shape
before we do a final API freeze). See the NEWS file for details on every
break we make. In future releases, we will have example programs that
will be kept up-to-date with the latest API as well.

For more information, see the Folks wiki page:
http://telepathy.freedesktop.org/wiki/Folks

What's new?
===========

Major changes:
* Fixed some linking problems
* Added some missing documentation
* Fixed build problems introduced by switching to gobject-introspection
  0.9.6 (i.e. GIR format 1.2)
* Bumped telepathy-glib dependency to 0.11.16
* Bumped Vala dependency to 0.10.0
* Bumped gobject-introspection dependency to 0.9.6
* Ensured IM addresses are normalised before being compared
* Made the folks-import build optional through a configure argument
* Added support for a “self” individual
* Added support for generating and installing Devhelp format
  documentation
* BackendStore.load_backends and the prepare() functions are now
  idempotent
* Tpf.Persona.contact is now guaranteed to have its capabilities fetched

API changes:
* Added IMable.normalise_im_address()
* Renamed Groups interface to Groupable
* Renamed Alias interface to Aliasable
* Removed BackendStore constructor
* Added BackendStore.dup()
* Added BackendStore::enabled-backends
* Added Individual::is-user
* Added Persona::is-user
* Added IndividualAggregator::user
* Added PersonaStoreError.UNSUPPORTED_ON_USER
* Added {IndividualAggregator, PersonaStoreError}.STORE_OFFLINE, used by
  the respective add_persona_from_details() functions

Bugs fixed:
* Bug 629452 — [Patch] Add missing gio linking for import-tool
* Bug 626008 — Add @since lines to all symbols
* Bug 629311 — Folks should normalize IDs written to the writable
  backend
* Bug 629644 — Key file backend cannot be loaded because of linking
  problems
* Bug 629666 — libfolks should not hard autodetect libxml
* Bug 628970 — Folks API needs a way to determine whether a specific
  type of PersonaStore is available
* Bug 629096 — Add a library init function
* Bug 627402 — Support marking FolksPersonas as "me"
* Bug 629642 — individuals-changed emitted in the wrong order
* Bug 629643 — do not fall back to the id if alias is empty
* Bug 629006 — PersonaStore should gracefully handle offline Persona
  change attempts
* Bug 629331 — BackendStore.load_backends and the prepare() functions
  should be idempotent.
* Bug 629008 — Add a test for Persona additions
* Bug 630347 — Avatars are always NULL

Dependencies
libfolks and depend upon core GNOME libraries (GLib, GIO, etc.), as well
as the recent releases of Vala and gobject-introspection.

The Telepathy backend also requires a recent release of
telepathy-glib, built to include its Vala bindings.

Contributing/Contact