[Telepathy] SIP Session without Account

Kai Vehmanen kvehmanen at eca.cx
Fri Oct 29 13:36:13 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Oct 2010, Olivier Crête wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 17:45 +0200, Esben Stien wrote:
>> Empathy won't let me start a conversation without any accounts.
[...]
> Telepathy-SofiaSIP doesn't support P2P SIP, it sends all messages
> through the SIP proxy. If you really want to do P2P SIP, your best bet

btw, I think what Esben is after is making calls without registering. This
is standard SIP stuff, but not really used in practical deployments (but
useful for testing -> no need for any servers to do pure client-to-client
testing). Sofia-sip can do it, but telepathy-sofiasip not at least yet
(but as Mikhail already pointed out, patches are welcome).

There's actually real P2P-SIP as well (i.e. peer to peer that could be
deployed for real world use), as well, but that's quite a different thing
and certainly not covered by base SIP specs:
   http://www.p2psip.org/
   http://tools.ietf.org/wg/p2psip/

And as it happens, one P2PSIP prototype has been done on top of sofia-sip:
   http://sipdht.sourceforge.net/sipdht2/index.html

But yeah, the specs are still work in progress.

Br,
Kai