[Telepathy] One big repository

Danielle Madeley danielle.madeley at collabora.co.uk
Thu Dec 8 16:25:59 PST 2011

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 18:28 +0200, George Kiagiadakis wrote:

> I understand your point, but I don't think this will be any better if
> you have everything in one repository. You will still have to go edit
> the spec first, then hack on tp-glib, then on tp-gabble, then hack on
> tp-qt4 as well, and finally after modifying everything, merge in
> master. It is still a big task to do, or rather a bigger task, because
> whoever makes a spec change will need to make sure that everything
> else in the repository still works.

I have to agree, you're in affect having to get the person changing the
spec, the CM hackers and the library hackers (some of which are C++
people) in on the same branch to make it all work. Rather than rapid
development, it seems to me that this will simply halt development.
Especially when people are all in different timezones.

I am not really convinced that this work is going to improve the state
of things any more than the current approach of versioning interfaces.

If we wanted to break away why not simply:

      * split tp-glib into high-level and D-Bus API, although I think
        such a break should be combined with a port to GDBus;
      * port the CMs to the new lib
      * version all interfaces in the spec;
      * at the same time, change the namespace if it so appeals to us
      * update any remaining breakage
      * new stable releases

--
Danielle Madeley
Software Developer, Collabora Ltd.                  Melbourne, Australia

www.collabora.co.uk