[Telepathy] Request for "Hello World" program for XMPP-Link-Local

Christophe-Marie Duquesne chm.duquesne at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 01:16:02 PDT 2012

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM, Ajay Garg <ajaygargnsit at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wish to have "machine 1" notified of coming online of
> "machine 2" on the same network; and vice versa.

If this is the only thing you need to do, maybe telepathy is not the
right tool. I would use avahi for such a use case.

machine2 would publish a dummy service and machine1 would poll for this service:
~machine1 $ avahi-browse -r _foo._tcp
~machine2 $ avahi-publish-service foo _foo._tcp 8080

You can feed some script on machine1 with the output of avahi-browse
to trigger some action when machine2 comes online. You can also
configure machine2 so that it permanently advertises for the foo
service by adding stuff in /etc/avahi/services

I hope that helps.
--
Christophe-Marie