[Telepathy] MSN retiring?

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Fri Dec 14 06:12:57 PST 2012

On 13/12/12 19:57, Spoon Reloaded wrote:
> "We will retire Messenger in all countries worldwide in the first
> quarter of 2013 (with the exception of mainland China[...])."
>
> Does that mean Telepathy will no longer work for MSN (outside of China)?

I would assume so, but we probably won't know for sure how the technical
details will work out until it actually happens.

Until we find out more, my assumption is that this means MSNP (as used
by telepathy-butterfly, and telepathy-haze with the msn or msn-pecan
libpurple plugins) will cease to work. Adding a MSN/Windows Live account
via Empathy currently uses telepathy-haze and the 'msn' plugin.

Outside Telepathy, MSNP is what's used by most things that interoperate
with MSN/WLM, particularly projects older than a year: Pidgin (again via
the msn or msn-pecan libpurple plugins), Kopete, AMSN, etc.

I don't know how this affects use of MSN via Microsoft's "Live Connect"
XMPP bridge (announced last December) and telepathy-gabble, which is
what you get if you add a Windows Live account in GNOME Online Accounts.
My pessimistic assumption is that this will also cease to work; but
we'll see.