[Telepathy] telepathy on Maemo 5

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Sat Jul 14 12:30:00 PDT 2012

Hi all,

Google broke voice/video calls on GTalk last year for old gabble users
and it has never worked since on my Nokia N900. I noticed that
telepathy-gabble received some fixes for this over the course of 0.12.x
and up to today's 0.16.1. I'd like to get voice/video calls working once
again on my N900.

First off, I have glib 2.26.0 built and working on my N900 (stock is
2.20.3). I first tried telepathy-gabble 0.8.15 as it is the last version
before the switch to libwocky and my phone has 0.8.13. The 0.8.15
version runs fine on my phone albeit no voice/video.

The next step was telepathy-gabble 0.10.5. I compiled the newer
telepathy-glib requirement but overrode the dbus-glib 0.82 requirement.
The only function call missing from the Maemo 5 dbus-glib 0.78 is
dbus_g_connection_unregister_g_object() and I commented these out of
telepathy-gabble/glib to get a compiled binary.

When I try to connect to GTalk on my phone I never get a connection. The
phone loops like it is trying to connect but it never happens. I tried
to get some debug output from gabble but the log file is always empty.

$ GABBLE_LOGFILE=foo.log GABBLE_DEBUG=all GABBLE_PERSIST=1
/usr/lib/telepathy/telepathy-gabble
(I try to connect in the phone UI, wait 10 seconds, quit the connection)

The foo.log is empty. It seems like no communication is being made with
the gabble plugin or somewhere something is being dropped.

Are there API incompatibilities introduced in gabble >=0.10 that will
prevent me from using them on my phone or is it something else?

Thanks,
Michael