[Telepathy] telepathy on Maemo 5

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Sun Jul 15 03:19:12 PDT 2012

On 07/14/2012 02:30 PM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Are there API incompatibilities introduced in gabble >=0.10 that will
> prevent me from using them on my phone or is it something else?

I found[1] the undocumented incompatibility with the change to gabble
0.9.17 and the addition of GabbleServerTLS* classes. I verified this
issue by enabling syslog output on my phone and saw the same messages
from the email thread. I attempted to run a 5.7.12 mission-control from
Maemo 6 sources on my N900 but it caused the Maemo 5 mission control
server to not run. Maemo 5 uses 5.2.7. I have not debugged the reason
why it won't run, yet.

Trying 0.9.16 results in TLS cert errors. The syslog shows this message:
wocky_tls_session_verify_peer: wocky-openssl.c:1012: setting ssl verify
flags level to: WOCKY_TLS_VERIFY_NORMAL
Gabble <=0.9.15 (and .17) were using WOCKY_TLS_VERIFY_LENIENT. Forcing
lenient allows me to connect to Gtalk. I then applied the
gtalk-workaround patches[2] to 0.9.16 and now I can make video/voice
calls with Gtalk clients and my N900. Voice/video calls seem to work if
people call my phone, but I cannot call out (phone says "busy" or
"cannot make connection"). The performance during video calls is worse
than I remember. I cannot keep a video call going for more than a minute
and even then the video is very choppy and blurred. Voice calls seem to
perform normally. I'm not satisfied about the version of gabble either
as the version I had to settle with is old and possibly full of other
issues.

Any comments and/or recommendations about my adventure would be welcome.

[1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/telepathy/2010-August/004842.html
[2]
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/telepathy/telepathy-gabble/commit/?id=052ca8131c8e145714372db249efd9bd04c70f94