[Telepathy] RFC: flattening Telepathy projects into fewer source trees

Guillaume Desmottes guillaume.desmottes at collabora.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 08:29:38 PST 2013

Le mardi 22 octobre 2013 à 11:30 +0100, Simon McVittie a écrit :
> At the moment Telepathy aims for the "very good QA" answer, but with the
> number of contributors who are currently active, adding major features
> while preserving compatibility for arbitrary versions takes more time
> than we really have. We need to conserve "core maintainer" time because,
> to put it bluntly, we don't have enough; and I think the new developer
> experience needs to become much easier, because at the moment, *I* find
> it awkward to add features (and I've been doing this for 7 years, much
> of it full-time).

I have to agree with Simon here.
I've been against the merge in the past but I've spent too much time
juggling with dozens of branches and having to make series of releases
just to integrate my work.

Even worst, I've seen plenty of potential contributors being afraid of
the complexity of implementing new features in Telepathy and just giving
up.

So I really think our goal here should be to make everyone's life easier
and lower the barrier of entry for new contributors.

	G.