[Telepathy] List of proxies on proxies.telepathy.im

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Mon Sep 2 02:47:03 PDT 2013

On 27/08/13 16:28, Sven Brauch wrote:
> proxy.jabbim.cz
> proxy.igniterealtime.org
> proxy.xmpp.kz
> proxy.chatme.im
> proxy.jabber.no-sense.net
> proxy.n0g.at
>
> It's not exactly huge, but at least it's 6 proxy servers which work instead of
> one which doesn't work. :)

telepathy-gabble used to hard-code a list of public proxies, but we
stopped doing that when Telepathy became increasingly widely-used (via
Empathy replacing Pidgin as Ubuntu's default), because the
administrators of those proxies hadn't really given permission for us to
use them in this way. We had a request from one proxy admin to remove
theirs, and once they'd pointed out the issue, relying on "easier to ask
forgiveness than permission" for the rest didn't seem right either.

proxies.telepathy.im is meant to act as a round-robin of proxies that
(a) work, and (b) we are allowed to use like that. At the time,
jabber.org was the only domain that specifically gave us permission to
use their proxy (I'm not sure how many others we asked). Do you have
permission from the sysadmins of any of these proxies for us to make
them the default for Telepathy users? If not, we'll have to ask
permission before we include them in our DNS.

According to the git history, Guillaume wrote the code, but I'm not sure
whether he was also the contact person or not. Guillaume?

The administrators of jabber.org change occasionally (in order to have
various different XMPP server implementations used on that "flagship"
domain) so perhaps it isn't surprising that proxy.eu.jabber.org has
vanished.

The telepathy.im domain is run by Collabora, so once we have permission
from at least one replacement proxy provider, we can ask our sysadmins
to make the change.