[Telepathy] telepathy-reSIProcate connection manager

Daniel Pocock daniel at pocock.pro
Mon Oct 5 11:58:29 PDT 2015

On 17/08/15 00:39, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 3:16 PM, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro
> <mailto:daniel at pocock.pro>> wrote:
>

>     In any case, given that reSIProcate is C++ code, is it more
>     appropriate to use TelepathyQt or is there a way to do this with
>     telepathy-glib?
>

> Appropriateness aside, it probably makes more sense to go with TelepathyQt
> as that is also C++ (and Qt), so you will get the same language constructs
> as in your library and it should mix together just fine.
>
> Mixing C++ with glib (C) /might/ be more painful and result in more
> complicated
> code, but it depends and I'm certainly no glib developer.
>
> Additionally TpQt is kinda actively maintained as for example the Ubuntu
> phone is using it (and now the Plasma phone too and Sailfish and Nemo),
> plus Alexander is writing a whole CM from scratch against it, so there is
> lots of activity around it (meaning easy to get support).

Ok, thanks for this feedback, I've continued looking at this.

I notice the following versions of TelepathyQt:

https://packages.qa.debian.org/t/telepathy-qt.html
  Debian jessie / stable has 0.9.4+dfsg-3
  Debian stretch / testing has 0.9.6.1-2

https://bodhi.fedoraproject.org/updates/?packages=telepathy-qt
  Fedora 22 has 0.9.6.1-1
  Fedora 23 will presumably have the same

https://launchpad.net/telepathy-qt/+packages
  Ubuntu vivid and wily have 0.9.6

So if I want to develop something that will run on Debian, it needs to
compile with 0.9.4 but it also needs to compile against newer versions
like 0.9.6.  How much does the API change between those versions?