[Telepathy] future of Telepathy?

Martin Klapetek mklapetek at kde.org
Thu Apr 28 12:27:22 UTC 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Dominik George <nik at naturalnet.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> >Speaking of which, as a KDE Telepathy maintainer, I do see quite a
> >decline
> >in our userbase. One of the reasons I get from users is "does not
> >support
> >$protocol", where $protocol is often Skype, WhatsApp or Facebook. And
> >no, it really doesn't matter to them that they can have calls via XMPP,
> >they
> >want their Skype contacts cause Skype is The Thing...
>
> Then I can live perfectly well with them going away and using Skype,
> WhatsApp and $protocol. If they want their proprietary crap, so shall it
> be, but please do not spoil free software and propagate use of that stuff
> for the sake of having a few more users.

You can. I can. Daniel Pocock can. That's 3 of us.

Now ask yourself - who are we making this software for? For us 3?
Or for the masses out there, hoping that maybe they will see value
in using free/open source?

Without users, any project is effectively dead. So yes, I will struggle
even for the sake of having few more users.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer