[Telepathy] future of Telepathy?

Martin Klapetek mklapetek at kde.org
Fri Apr 29 13:12:10 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 5:13 AM, Berend De Schouwer <
berend.de.schouwer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2016-04-28 at 13:44 -0400, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Dominik George <nik at naturalnet.de>
> > wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > [...snip..]
> > > I see no point in running for market share - if you pay close
> > > attention to this discussion, it becomes obvious that the only gain
> > > for Telepathy would be market share among chat clients. That
> > > somehow contradicts the ideals of an open community. Why do you
> > > bother if Pidgin has twice as many users? Who actually cares?
> > >
> > *You* should care. If you don't have users, you won't get new
> > contributors while old ones will slowly leave too and the project
> > just dies. Simple as that.
> >
> > Just look at KDE Telepathy, probably one of the biggest Telepathy
> > clients out there. We've had about 10 everyday developers 5 years
> > ago,
> > we have two in a _month_ now. And we do have quite an awesome
> > feature set, yet our users are also declining. Why? Because we don't
> > support $protocol (and also because mobile).
>
> Does WhatsApp support Skype?

Telepathy is a network agnostic specification meant to be used
with multiple backends, it's its purpose to support multiple IMs
in a certain way ("communications as a service").

In the paragraph you replied to I merely stated what I see as a common
question among KDE Telepathy users, with KDE Telepathy being
one of the big real life Telepathy clients.

Cheers

--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer