[Telepathy] future of Telepathy?

Berend De Schouwer berend.de.schouwer at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 09:13:22 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-04-28 at 13:44 -0400, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 11:26 AM, Dominik George <nik at naturalnet.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > [...snip..]
> > I see no point in running for market share - if you pay close
> > attention to this discussion, it becomes obvious that the only gain
> > for Telepathy would be market share among chat clients. That
> > somehow contradicts the ideals of an open community. Why do you
> > bother if Pidgin has twice as many users? Who actually cares?
> >
> *You* should care. If you don't have users, you won't get new
> contributors while old ones will slowly leave too and the project
> just dies. Simple as that.
>
> Just look at KDE Telepathy, probably one of the biggest Telepathy
> clients out there. We've had about 10 everyday developers 5 years
> ago,
> we have two in a _month_ now. And we do have quite an awesome
> feature set, yet our users are also declining. Why? Because we don't
> support $protocol (and also because mobile).

Does WhatsApp support Skype?

For a different viewpoint: WhatsApp and Skype get used in my family
because we're geographically diverse, and some of those countries have
exorbitant voice and data charges.  Any replacement needs to be cheap
on data.

If you're looking for a good feature: In some countries, it would be
best for a chat client to be federated (to the point of mesh
networking) and encrypted, so that governments can't switch it off.
Maybe a federated twitter.  This would fall in line, I think, with a
lot of Free Software ideals.