[Telepathy] Project revival?

Niklas Andersson niklas.andersson at openforce.se
Thu Jun 9 15:55:23 UTC 2016

Hi George,

  We have a project going on that might be of interest. We have worked
like crazy to basically bring feature-parity between MS Lync and Pidgin
(using the SIPE-plugin)

  Think of it as the MS Lync client (or Skype for Business), but fully
open source, directly available in your software repository.

We have touched pidgin, libpurple, libnice, freerdp, gstreamer,
farstream to make this happen. And now we support (fully interoperable
with MS Lync/SFB):

- File Transfer
- Desktop Screen Sharing
- Conferencing
- Video (one2one for now)
- SRTP encryption
- Lync Enterprise Voice (call-in and call-out via gateway).

This is a great start, but I would like to see the same features in
other open libraries, and thus available for other clients. Right now it
is Pidgin only, which is a pity.

Also, I have reached out to the XMPP-community (with not much of
response actually..), telling them about this effort and that it would
be great to take all these features to XMPP. Right now it is a MS Lync
Server-only thing, which is not open source. I would like to see all of
this handled by ejabberd for example.

  There have been efforts in Empathy to implement Desktop Screen
Sharing, and I've reached out to the contributor (without getting a
response). It would be nice if we could do a joint-effort and make sure
there can be some common ground with respect to how the semantics should
look like in the XMPP-messages in order to be interoperable.

All our code is available on Github [1]. SIPE [2] is where we have our
wiki [3]

The goal is to have all features in the Lync/Skype For Business
eco-system, but with protocols and code according to the F/OSS-philosopy.

[1] https://github.com/tieto
[2] https://github.com/tieto/sipe
[3] https://github.com/tieto/sipe/wiki

Best regards,