[Telepathy] Project revival?

George Kiagiadakis gkiagia at tolabaki.gr
Fri Jun 10 04:42:49 UTC 2016

Hello Niklas,

On 09.06.2016 18:55, Niklas Andersson wrote:
> Hi George,
>
>  We have a project going on that might be of interest. We have worked
> like crazy to basically bring feature-parity between MS Lync and
> Pidgin (using the SIPE-plugin)
>
>  Think of it as the MS Lync client (or Skype for Business), but fully
> open source, directly available in your software repository.
>
> We have touched pidgin, libpurple, libnice, freerdp, gstreamer,
> farstream to make this happen. And now we support (fully interoperable
> with MS Lync/SFB):
>
> - File Transfer
> - Desktop Screen Sharing
> - Conferencing
> - Video (one2one for now)
> - SRTP encryption
> - Lync Enterprise Voice (call-in and call-out via gateway).
>
> This is a great start, but I would like to see the same features in
> other open libraries, and thus available for other clients. Right now
> it is Pidgin only, which is a pity.
>
> Also, I have reached out to the XMPP-community (with not much of
> response actually..), telling them about this effort and that it would
> be great to take all these features to XMPP. Right now it is a MS Lync
> Server-only thing, which is not open source. I would like to see all
> of this handled by ejabberd for example.

That's all super cool. I am interested to hear about all the XMPP
additions as well as upstreaming all necessary changes to allow this to
work in telepathy as well.

>  There have been efforts in Empathy to implement Desktop Screen
> Sharing, and I've reached out to the contributor (without getting a
> response). It would be nice if we could do a joint-effort and make
> sure there can be some common ground with respect to how the semantics
> should look like in the XMPP-messages in order to be interoperable.

I'm sure interested to try and participate in talks about the XMPP
semantics. Regarding empathy, as far as I remember, desktop sharing was
working with vino & vinagre through telepathy stream tubes. I guess
though you are talking about some more standardized way?

> All our code is available on Github [1]. SIPE [2] is where we have our
> wiki [3]
>
> The goal is to have all features in the Lync/Skype For Business
> eco-system, but with protocols and code according to the
> F/OSS-philosopy.
>
> [1] https://github.com/tieto
> [2] https://github.com/tieto/sipe
> [3] https://github.com/tieto/sipe/wiki