[Telepathy] How to name Ring.cx Telepathy Connection Manager

Stepan Salenikovich stepan.salenikovich at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 16:34:02 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 11:55 AM, Daniel Pocock <daniel at pocock.pro> wrote:

> On 10/06/16 17:49, Stepan Salenikovich wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm a developper on the ring.cx <http://ring.cx> project. There are a
> > couple of GSoC students working on a Telepathy CM for Ring.
> >
> > I posted this question on the Ring mailing list, but sadly didn't get
> > any responses, so I'm hoping maybe the Telepathy list is more creative :)
> >
> > There is also a question about how to name the "Ring" protocol. Ring
> > basically uses a DHT (openDHT) as a transport to then negotiate an
> > encrypted SIP session for audio/video calls. Text messages are currently
> > just sent encrypted over the DHT directly (no SIP negotiation). So a
> > good protocol name is probably something like "Ring-dht", I suppose.
> >
> > Telepathy-ring is already taken, and the telepathy spec also warns
> > against naming the CM the same as the protocol:
> >
> https://telepathy.freedesktop.org/spec/Connection_Manager.html#Simple-Type:Connection_Manager_Name
> >
> > Some proposed pun names from the #ring IRC so far:
> > telepathy-bell
> > telepathy-hoop
> > telepathy-single-ladies
> > telepathy-doughnut
> > telepathy-lord_of_the
> > telepathy-o
> > telepathy-my-precious
> >
> > Does anyone else have any good suggestions for either the name of the CM
> > and/or the protocol?
> >

> I think the spec needs to be clarified
>
> In this case, Savoir Faire Linux produces both the protocol and
> implementation using the same name.
>
> Therefore, I think that the spec should say something like: "it is OK to
> name the CM after the implementation if the implementation and protocol
> have the same name, preferably adding some vendor label to distinguish
> possible forks"
>
> E.g. you could call it telepathy-opendht-sfl

Ah, ok. Thanks for the clarification!

OpenDHT could technically be used for messagning (or other functions)
without the rest of Ring which uses openDHT as a means to connect two
peers, but then adds SIP and encryption to enable audio/video calling and
forward secrecy during these calls.

So probably "telepahty-opendht-ring" would be more accurate... would you
prefer "telepathy-opendht-ring-sfl" or maybe "telepathy-ring-sfl" to
distinguish the vendor?